Auction Napa Valley Sets New Record
2012 vintage boosts proceeds to $18.7 million
This bested the $16.9 million set in 2013, itself a record.
The once-in-a-lifetime experiences of the 50 live auction lots generated more than $12.65 million for community health and nonprofit children’s education during Saturday’s live auction at Meadowood.
The doubled Raymond Hollywood adventure, which brought in $840,000, was among the top lots. In total, seven lots were doubled on Saturday afternoon, helping to contribute to the overall Auction total.
The barrel auction held Friday at the renovated Charles Krug Winery also set a new record of $1.7 million.
The Vintners attribute some of the success of Friday’s Napa Valley Barrel Auction to a new mobile application that allowed bidders to monitor and respond to bids on their smartphones while sipping Napa Valley wines and savoring food prepared by local chefs in the outdoor marketplace. Nearly 400 guests used the new technology to secure cases of Napa Valley wine.
The E-Auction, which was the only auction open to fans around the world, closed Sunday raising $490,000, another record.
The Fund-A-Need lot, where bidders receive no wine or tangible rewards for their bids, only the satisfaction of helping children, raised more than $3.8 million.
Approximately 1,000 local vintners, chef teams, donors and volunteers contributed to the auction’s success. In its 31 years, the money raised by the auction let the Vintners donate more than $120 million to good causes in Napa County.
Live Auction top lots
• Raymond Vineyards $840,000 (doubled lots of $420,000)
• Mayacamas Vineyards $660,000
• Promontory $600,000
• Napa Valley Vintners and Lexus $580,000
• Opus One $550,000
• Araujo Estate Wines $520,000
• Darioush and Robb Report Magazine $440,000
• Casa Piena $420,000
• Chappellet Vineyard $410,000
• Lokoya $400,000
• Gargiulo Vineyards, Silver Oak and Twomey Cellars (tie) $400,000
Barrel Auction top lots
• Brand Napa Valley $83,050
• Shafer Vineyards $55,200
• Continuum Estate $52,750
• Gargiulo Vineyards $51,400
• Spottswoode Estate Vineyard & Winery $46,400
• Tor Kenward Family Wines $39,850
• Joseph Phelps Vineyards $34,300
• Cardinale $33,800
• Stone The Crows $31,650
• Kongsgaard Wine $30,750
E-Auction results top lots
• Continuum Estate, Freemark Abbey, Mayacamas Vineyards and Staglin Family Vineyard (tie) $21,000
• Sherwin Family Vineyards $15,650
• Grgich Hills Estate $12,050
• Napa Valley Vintners $10,150
• Domaine Chandon $9,100
• Levy & McClellan $8,750
• Benessere $8,150
• Heitz Wine Cellars $8,050
• Larkmead Vineyards $7,850
• Pine Ridge Vineyards $7,200
• B Cellars $7,050